Importing and Registering your own Car in Germany

If you are moving to Germany from outside of the EU and would like to bring your car with you, you may import it duty-free for personal use along with your household goods if you can prove that you have resided abroad for more than twelve months and have owned and used your vehicle for a minimum of six months. Once imported, it may not be sold for twelve months from the date of importation. If you do not meet this criteria, you may be subject to 10% import duty and 19% value added tax. Vintage cars and oldtimers are taxed at 7%.

Although German consulates and embassies provide general information, they stress that complete and current information can be obtained only from the proper authorities in Germany.

If you are planning to reside in Germany only for a short time you may drive your imported motor vehicle registered with your home license plates for a period of up to 12 months. For this, you will need a registration document translated into German. If you reside in Germany for more than 12 months, it is essential that you register your car in the town you live in and have it inspected by TÜV (M.O.T). Cars from outside EU countries may need to be modified (brakes, emissions, tires, etc) in order to meet German standards.

To register and license your car the following documents are required: passport, (German) driving licence, vehicle documents, proof of ownership, insurance papers from home country, if new, the vehicle invoice, registered owner’s police registration in Germany (Polizeiliche Anmeldebestätigung), original registration and copy of title, third- party liability insurance and importer’s declaration that no valuable items are in the vehicle.

There are shipping companies experienced in shipping cars to Germany. We recommend contacting such a company in order to receive information about costs, insurance and time periods needed for delivery.

Fidelio Main Office: +49 69 40 56 499-1 · info(bittekeinspam)