Driving in Germany

German Driving Licence

If you are a citizen of an EU country you will not be required to hold a German driving licence. A valid driving licence from most other countries (other than the EU) is valid in Germany for the first six months of your residency. If you are planning to stay for more than six months but less than one year it is possible to have your licence extended.

Traffic Rules and Regulations

Germany uses a point system to keep the streets and motorways safe. You will accumulate points speeding, driving while using a cell phone, causing an accident or not obeying the traffic rules and regulations. If you accumulate 18 points, you will lose your license.

Speed Limits

There is no speed limit on most sections of the Autobahn, and the recommended speed of 130 kmh/ 80 mph is generally ignored. Drivers commonly travel at speeds up to 180 kmh/ 110 mph and more.

Car Insurance

In order to register a vehicle in Germany you are required to have a third-party liability insurance to cover damage or injury to other persons or objects. If your car is financed, you will be required to purchase a comprehensive insurance to cover damage to your own car.

Buying a Car in Germany

Buying a car in Germany can be very exciting! There are many possibilities ranging from a brand new German-made automobile to a well kept used foreign-made car. Buying a new or used car from a dealership has its advantages: they offer a guarantee which means that you will have someone to turn to if you have any problems.

Environmental Zones

In order to improve the air quality in many cities, Germany has introduced environmental zones in many areas. All four wheeled vehicles are required to bear an environmental sticker in the right hand bottom corner of their windscreen to show the emission level of their car.

Importing and Registering your own Car

If you are moving to Germany from outside of the EU and would like to bring your car with you, you may import it duty-free for personal use along with your household goods if you can prove that you have resided abroad for more than twelve months and have owned and used your vehicle for a minimum of six months.

Fidelio Main Office: +49 69 40 56 499-1 · info(bittekeinspam)fidelio-relocation.de