Getting Ready to Move
A checklist of things to help you get organised
Organisation is the most important thing when planning your move to another
country. Preparing to move abroad involves a lot more than just packing.
The following checklist will help you get ready for your upcoming new
- Make sure that the passports for you and all your family members are
- If you need a visa or residence permit for the country you are moving
to, make sure you apply for one well in advance.
- Keep your visas and permits with your passports, this will make immigration
easier when you arrive.
- Documents, such as driving licenses, birth certificates, insurance
policies and bank account numbers should be kept together.
- Have all the necessary school documents for your children at hand.
- Arrange health insurance for yourself and your family.
- If your pet is travelling with you, make sure you have the proper vaccinations
and papers for it.
- Sell or store any furniture and personal belongings you will not be
taking with you.
- Arrange a moving company for the belongings you will be taking with
- Cancel your utilities, subscriptions and memberships before you leave.
- Have your mail redirected though the post office.
- Inform all your friends and relatives that you are moving and give
them your new address.